Teeth whitening is a safe and effective way to improve the attractiveness of your smile. It is one of the simplest cosmetic dental services that we provide and does not damage teeth in any way.
Some people have genetically brighter or thicker enamel, masking the natural yellow colour of the dentine beneath and making the teeth appear whiter. There are many reasons why this may not be the case and why you may be considering having your teeth whitened.
Why do teeth Discolour?
- Thinner Enamel- The natural yellow colour of the dentine in the deeper part of the tooth filters through, making the teeth appear darker
- Extrinsic staining- this is caused by factors such as smoking, red wine, tea, coffee and cola, as well as certain foods.
- Intrinsic staining- The basic colour of the teeth is darker and can be due to:
- Tetracycline (antibiotics) given to a mother during pregnancy or to a child under the age of 8
- Exposure to too much fluoride in childhood (Fluorosis)
- Trauma (a Knock, Blow or Fall) to a baby tooth which may lead to darkening of the developing adult tooth
- Trauma to an adult tooth causing bleeding inside the tooth
- Rare Medical Conditions Dentinogenesis Imperfecta and Amelogenesis Imperfecta
- Age Related Changes- Teeth become darker as part of the natural ageing process (as the enamel becomes thinner)
- Dental Decay
- Deteriorating Fillings or Restorations- these can develop stains around the edges and may need replacing to improve the appearance
How is Teeth Whitening carried out?
Before any form of Cosmetic Treatment is provided, we carry out a Dental Examination to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy and to determine the cause of the discolouration. We will discuss the options for treatment with you, so we can determine the best way to enhance your smile.
We use Carbamide Peroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide to whiten teeth. There are two main ways in which these used.
In-Office Whitening with Zoom! By Philips- The soft tissues including the gums, are protected by a barrier material before the peroxide gel is applied on to the teeth. It is then activated by a powerful light, enabling the process to be completed in just an Hour.
Home Whitening with Enlighten®- Custom made rubber trays are formed to precisely fit your teeth. We supply you with gel that you can safely use at home. Following two weeks of home treatment, we will carry out a power whitening session at the clinic to complete your dazzling new smile. Enlighten® Guarantees that your teeth will reach the lightest shade- B1.
Is Teeth Whitening safe?
Yes- we have many years of research showing that the procedure is safe if carried out by a trained professional under supervision. There are many beauty clinics and non-dental professionals who carry out the procedure, but please note that it is illegal to sell products containing more than 0.1% peroxide to anyone but Dental Professionals. We use 6%, 10% and 16% concentrations that are far more effective.
Are there any side effects?
Some people develop tooth sensitivity during the whitening process. We have many ways in which we can manage and alleviate the sensitivity both In-Office and at Home, to make the process as comfortable as possible.
For your COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATION contact our friendly concierge team on 01273 202102 who will be happy to help with any query that you may have or book your appointment for you. Alternatively you can send an EMAIL